YearDateDescription1829Greenville Watson is born in Green County, Indiana. Captain of Kansas Cavalry Company F during Civil War. Served as Tax collector of MarinCounty from 1871 to 1873. Moved to ranch that bears his name in 1875. Dies in 1915 leaving his wife Sarah the Watson property.1886Raymond O Hanson, known as “The Chief”, is born in Minneapolis.1916JuneOakland Area Council (council #21), BSA is organized.1917JanuarySan Francisco Council (council #51), BSA is organized. Raymond O. Hanson becomes 1st Scout Executive1917JuneSan Francisco Council (SFC) holds first ever summer camp (called a Training Camp) at Mill Valley, CA in Marin County.1918JuneSan Francisco Council holds Training Camp (1918-1919) at Olema, CA in Marin County,1919Camp Lilienthal opens at Pine Lake (Stern Grove) of San Francisco, CA as a weekend camp of the San Francisco Council.1920JuneSan Francisco Council holds Training Camp (1920-1924) near Cazadero at Elim Grove, CA in Sonoma County.1925Camp Lilienthal closes at Pine Lake (Stern Grove) in San Francisco due to lack of funds.192504/15Watson Ranch in Cazadero is purchased by the SFC for use as a summer camp. Charles Watson will remain at the ranch as the caretaker.192505/01George Hart from SF Troop 54 wins competition for submitting the name of Royaneh for the new camp.192505/11Sarah Watson owner of Watson property, dies192506/22Camp Royaneh opens as the new summer training camp for the SFC1926Narrow Gauge rails from Duncan Mills to Cazadero replaced by standard gauge.1927First Pigeongram sent from Royaneh to Council Headquarters in San Francisco1927Marvin Landfield writes the words to the camp song “Roya-neh For Ever”192801/23Mortgage to Camp Royaneh is burned in a ceremony at the 11th annual dinner at the Clift Hotel. Scouts raised enough money to payoff the Camp Royaneh mortgage as well as purchase a new camp (Camp Lilienthal in Marin County).192801/09Charles Watson, son of Sarah Watson and first caretaker of camp property dies1929SFC - Camp Lilienthal opens in Fairfax, CA as a weekend and summer camp of the San Francisco Council.1934Last year the train was used to haul Scouts to Royaneh1934Clarks Grove is dedicated at Camp Royaneh1937Raymond O Hanson retires from SF Council193804/13Camp Royaneh is renamed in honor of the 2nd Council President (Charles C Moore). Camp CC Moore is name is used until 1951.1939East Austin Creek is dammed for the first time to create a new swimming hole (affectionately known as Roman’s Plunge)1939Bar H Ranch opens at Camp Royaneh. This is the first time horsemanship is offered at Royaneh.194004/20Knights of Dunamis Grove is dedicated at Camp Royaneh in honor of its founder, San Francisco Scout Exec Raymond O. Hanson.194407/01Chief Raymond O Hanson, first Scout Exec of the San Francisco Council and founder of the Knights of Dunamis, dies in Los Angeles 1946Oscar Kirkham writes the words to the camp song “Dear Royaneh”1948Nick Schneider becomes Caretaker/Ranger at Royaneh.1950Carl F. Wente is elected to the San Francisco Council Board of Directors as Finance chair.1951The name of the Camp changes from Camp CC Moore back to Camp Royaneh.195103/01Work begins on construction of new entrance to camp from the Cazadero Hwy to be known as Scanlon Road. The new 16’ roadbed will also bypass the original road that ran adjacent to the creek next to Romans Plunge.195110/01Swimming pool is built for approximately $30,000 and dedicated to Lucie Stern. Walter Hass anonymously funded for the new pool. Before the pool was built, swimming took place down at the creek when a seasonal dam was put in place1952Carl F. Wente becomes President of the Bank of America after the death of L.M. Giannnini, brother of BOA Founder A.P. Giannini.1953Jim Wilkins becomes ranger at Camp Royaneh (1953 - 1976)1953Admin Building at Royaneh is dedicated to Raymond O Hanson1953Maintenance and Storage shed built next to Rangers Cabin on bluff195460 foot well is sunk next to East Austin creek to provide pure water for the camp courtesy of Walter Haas. Previously the water for the camp was drawn directly from the creek.1954Former parade grounds graded for use as Parking Lot and new Rangers Cabin195406/10Rangers Cabin is constructed next to parking area courtesy of Walter Haas195409/0357 acres of additional land is purchased at Royaneh courtesy of Walter Haas195412/31Carl F. Wente, receives the Silver Antelope Award.1958Thunderbird becomes the new Royaneh mascot and logo replacing the Indian Chief195811/24Canoe base recreation hall is constructed (60’ x 40’) courtesy of Walter Haas. It includes a kitchen, laundry area, fireplace, toilets and showers,1960Family camp recreation building dedicated at Royaneh. This was used for families of Scout Leaders with troops in camp.1961Barn and Corral are dedicated. Prior to the Corral the area was formerly used as the Archery range for the camp.196310/11Sherwood J Hall of Las Vegas donates 16 acres of land near Russian Gulch to the San Francisco Council196402/08Oakland Area Council and San Francisco Council merge to form the San Francisco Bay Area Council.196406/24Russian Gulch outpost camp is used for the first time. The 16 acre property was donated to the council earlier in the year. 1968Klusman report recommends abandoning Royaneh as a major long term site due to the required capital improvements required196905/07Additional 127 acres is purchased at Camp Royaneh known as the Schneider property. The land is adjacent to East Austin Creek1971Carl F. Wente passes away and leaves a trust to the San Francisco Bay Area council to support Camp Improvements197603/30New sewage treatment facility installed on lower portion of property aboce the COPE program area.1978500 Gallon underground gas tank installed near rangers house for use in fueling camp vehicles197812,000 acre fire burns Russian Gulch outpost site and close to camp197803/09Old cabin across from amphitheater is burnt down by Cazadero Fire Department due to being “unfit” for human occupancy.1978Amphitheater is rebuilt through monies generated by the Benson Memorial fund in honor of Ralph Benson.1982WinterRedwood tree from the Clark’s Grove falls during a storm and crushes the main support beam of the original 1925 dining hall forcing the dining hall to be demolished. 1982SummerQuonset hut at Royaneh is used as the temporary dining hall until the new one is completed1984New Royaneh dining hall is completed in time for summer operations.1985 07/24Dedication ceremonies held for new dining hall1986Old Storage Shed removed at parking log, 500 gallon underground gas tank removed due to non use1988Bill Heinze becomes ranger at Royaneh (1988-2000)1988Original Rangers cabin built in 1954 is torn down198810/12New 1600 sq ft Ranger cabin installed, “Baywood II”198908/10Damming of Austin Creek is prohibited due to endangered shrimp which forced the closure of the Canoe base operations.1992New pool house is constructed to replace original wooden pool house built in 19512000Scott Griswold becomes ranger at Camp Royaneh (2000 - Present)2007Pool and Pool decking are redone at Royaneh2008New septic and water systems installed at Royaneh.2010New Rangers Cabin is built to replace Baywood trailer that had been used2011New Stage is built at Royaneh to replace the old stage. The new one is twice the size of the old stage.201710/01Construction begins on new cooks cabin2019Road through camp is redone, additional fill is added to road next to pool to bring it up to grade2019Tree falls during winter wind storm and destroys Nature Glen area202004/27San Francisco Bay Area Council, Alameda Council and Mt. Diablo-Silverado Council merge to form the Golden Gate Area Council.202006/01Summer camp 2020 was canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. first time Royaneh has not held a summer camp since it opened.202009/01Fires near Camp Royaneh require ranger (and neighbors) to be evacuated from the camp for a week.