Fun Facts (Camp Glossary)

Camp Royaneh Golden Gate Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
Copyright © Golden Gate Area Council, All Rights Reserved
Terminology Description
Camp Royaneh, 4600 Scanlon Road, Cazadero, CA  95421 Golden Gate Area Council-BSA, 800 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill, CA  94523  | PH: 510.577.9000 email: info@camproyaneh.org  |  www.camproyaneh.org
95421 USPS Postal Code of Royaneh 4600 Scanlon Road Camp Royaneh Address 46579 Number of the Deed to Camp Royaneh as filed on April 20, 1925 in Santa Rosa 49rs (Forty-Niners) Campsite (c 1926 – 1985), Original campsite at Royaneh, Torn down to make way for handicap accessible shower house Acres, 16 Russian Gulch Outpost Camp acreage Acres, 102.57 Original amount of acreage of Watson Ranch purchased from Charles N. Watson, son of Sarah T. and Greenville. Acres, 345 (originally 120) Current amount of acreage at camp Alumni Night 5th week Friday night when alumni & staff return for socializing Andrew Hallidie, Cabin 1 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Antler Point Name of Cairn trail marker, #21 Aqua-neh Name of the swimming pool program area at camp Royaneh Austin Creek (East) Creek adjacent to Camp once dammed and used as waterfront Baden Powell Scouts Program designed for first year campers Bar H Ranch Property adjoining Camp Royaneh was a separate horse program for overnight pack trips and adventure away from the modern camp. (c 1942) Bear Gulch Campsite (c 2008) above Kiwanis Grove, originally known as Upper Kiwanis Grove Bill Hickock, Cabin 3 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Bob’s Bend Name of area at bottom of Scoutcraft hill (c 2008) in honor of Bob Animo longtime staffer Bret Harte, Cabin 2 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Buddy Point Campsite (c 1971 – present), 22 person max Buffalo Bill, Cabin 2 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Buffery Flats Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Cairn Boot Trail 24 sites around camp containing stamps the Scouts collect Cairo Latrine / Outhouse building from (c 1934) located across the bridge near the 49er campsite Camp Moore / Camp CC Moore Name of Camp Royaneh from 1938 to 1950, in honor of first Council President. Officially known as Camp Royaneh of the CC Moore Scout Reservation. Camp of Joy Possible meaning of “Royaneh” from the Iroquois Indians. In 1925 George Hart from SFC Troop 54 won a competition among Scouts to name the new camp. Camp Royaneh Camp name from 1925 to 1938, and 1951 to Present. Camp was named by George Hart during a competition of SF scouts in 1925. Campsites, 14 Number of tent and cabin campsites Canoe Base Name of the boating area that was dammed during summers Capt. Armstrong, Cabin 4 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Capt. Watson, Cabin 6 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Cazadero, CA Camp Royaneh’s location Chalet Handicraft building. Also known as “The Chalet”. Chiefs Cabin This was the name of the former cabin across from the amphitheater where Chief Raymond O Hanson and leaders stayed. Torn down in the 1980’s. Chiefs Room Scoutmasters room in honor of naturalist Uncle Ed Dike Chiefs Stump This was the name of the tree stump where Chief Raymond O Hanson would sit during campfires at the amphitheater Clark Grove Grove of Redwoods in honor of Samuel A. Clark. A tree from this Grove fell on the original dining hall in 1982 collapsing the main support beam Col. Andrew Rowan Cabin 1, Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Col. John Fremont Cabin 6, Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) COPE Course (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) Critter Of The Week Camp Royaneh Daniel Boone, Cabin 5 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Davy Crockett, Cabin 3 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Dead Horse Flats Name of Cairn trail marker, #20. Location of C.O.P.E. course Diamond R Corral Corral operations , corral dedicated in 1960 Distance, 2.5 Miles Distance from Royaneh to Northwestern Pacific train station in Cazadero in 1927 Distance, 91 Miles Distance from Council Office (c 1968) Eagle Eye Camp Royaneh Ghost (c 1929 – 1938) Egypt Name of the former building where the toilets were located. Located between Plainsmen and Frontiersmen campsites Engine 20 Engine number of the Northwestern Pacific railway that transported Scouts to Camp Royaneh from 1926 until 1935. Steam Engine was a 4-4-0 built by Rogers in 1884 and scrapped in 1936. Greenville Watson Original land owner of the Camp Royaneh property Fern Glen Falls Name of Cairn trail marker, #12 Fir Hill Name of the hill above Scanlon Ridge campsite that held some tents Five Brothers Name of Cairn trail marker, #17 Foresters Village Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 56 person max Forty-Niners (49rs) Campsite (c 1968) located above original Plainsmen shower house. Site was torn down to make way for new handicap accessible shower house. Fricot Meadows Campsite (c 1971 – present), 26 person max Frontiersmen Village Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 48 person max Gallons, 155,000 “L” shaped pool approximately 100’ x 60’ Gallons, 20,000 Holding capacity of main septic tank under soccer field Gen John Sutter, Cabin 3 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Gen. Custer, Cabin 4 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) George Hart Scout from SFC Troop 54 who provided the name Royaneh for the camp. A competition was held in 1925 for naming the new camp. Gnarled Maple Name of Cairn trail marker, #4 Handyman Scouts who complete any handicraft project can turn it in to be judged Hangman’s Tree Name of Cairn trail marker, #2 Harry Ross, Cabin 6 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Haunted Tree Name of Cairn trail marker, #13 Health Lodge Name of the building where the medics are located Hidden Springs The name of a spring located on the hillside near Mountain Man Hilton The name of a staff cabin across the creek from the Trading Post. Holy Stone Name of Cairn trail marker, #18 Iroquois Name of the groups at Royaneh (c 1934), #4 Jack Laws Trail Camp Royaneh James Lick, Cabin 3 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) James Marshall, Cabin 4 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Jedediah Smith, Cabin 2 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Audubon, Cabin 2 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Burrough, Cabin 3 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Geary, Cabin 4 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Larson, Cabin 6 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Muir, Cabin 1 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Kashaya Pomo Indians The band of Indians that once inhabited the Camp Royaneh area Kit Carson, Cabin 5 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Kiwanis Grove campsite (c 1971 – present), 26 person max. Named in honor of the Kiwanis Club of San Francisco. Originally was known as Lower Kiwanis Grove. Knights of Dunamis Eagle Scout Association created by SF Council in 1925. Became National Eagle Scout Association in 1971 KOD Memorial Grove Knights of Dunamis Grove, dedicated to San Francisco Scout Exec Raymond O. Hanson. Located on the hill between amphitheater and Scanlon ridge KYBO Stands for Keep Your Bowels Open as the BSA way of meaning a pit latrine or outhouse.. Leaders Point Name of Cairn trail marker, #15 Lion’s Den Campsite (c 1971 – present), 29 person max Lonely Tree Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Louis Kern Contractor who constructed the original buildings at Camp Royaneh in 1925 including the large 500 seat mess hall. Luther Burbank, Cabin 1 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Madrone Ghost Name of Cairn trail marker, #8 Maidu Name of the groups at Royaneh (c 1934), #2 Maintenance Shed/Garage Located next to the rangers cabin (c 1953 – 1990) Magnesite Train / Mine From 1914 - 1920 a small 24” wide train ran from the Cazadero Hwy along East Austin creek and up to the Magnesite Mine along some of the future Camp Royaneh Right-of-way. Only a portion of the trestle foundation where it crossed East Austin Creek next to the camp pump house still remains. Mark Twain, Cabin 1 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Marvin Landfield Wrote the lyrics to the camp song “Roya-neh Forever” in c1927 Meeting Place of the Tribe Loosely translated Iroquois name for Camp Royaneh from 1925. See Also Camp of Joy. Name translation also applies to Royaneh lodge 282. Mile Markers for Nar Gauge Narrow Gauge train distances of NWP: Kidd Creek-80.8, Watson-81.6, Magnesia-82.4, Elim Grove-83.5, Cazadero-84.3 Mile Markers for Std Gauge Board Gauge train distances: Kidd creek-26.7, Royaneh-27.5, Magnesia-28.3, Elim Grove-29.4, Cazadero-30.2 Millers Retreat Camping area near Watson Ranch used for SF Council (predecessor to Royaneh) Moon Bench bench at base of Scoutcraft hill (c 1968) Mountain Man Area of camp where black powder rifle, axe throwing and other activities designed for the outdoors are held (c 1993) Murphy’s Gulch campsite (c 1971 – present), 34 person max Narrow Gauge Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh. This is where part of the Sonoma Magnesite rail line was located from 1917 until 1937. Nature Glen Nature area Old Bunk House Camp Royaneh Old Narrow Gauge Name of Cairn trail marker, #24, named for the former 24” Magnesite train that ran along East Austin Creek from 1914-1920. Olive Grove Name of Cairn trail marker, #14 Orchard Meadow Former name of the campsite where the shotgun range is now located Order Of The Rattlesnake Nature Glens highest honor Oscar Kirkham Wrote the lyrics to the camp song “Dear Royaneh” in c1946 Oxen Flume Name of Cairn trail marker, #23 Parade Grounds (Upper) Name of the parade grounds where the flag pole is now located. Parade Grounds (Lower) Former name for the parade grounds where the parking lot is now located Peter Donohue, Cabin 5 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Peter Lassen, Cabin 2 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Phone: 707-632-5291 phone number for camp (c 1974) Pinnacle Peak Name of Cairn trail marker, #5 Pioneers Village Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 56 person max Plainsmen Village Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 48 person max PO Box 39 USPS Post Office Box Number of Camp Royaneh Pole Mountain Russian Gulch outpost camp hiking Ranch House One of the original buildings from the Watson Ranch, located below the Archery range. Raymond O Hanson Scout Executive of the San Francisco Council from 1917 until 1937. Affectionately known as “The Chief”. Red & Fred Names of the mules at Royaneh that ranger Jim Wilkins used to pull wagons and saddle (c 1977) Recreation Lodge The name of the former building at the canoe base, built in 1958 it contained a large recreation room, fireplace, kitchen, laundry room and showers. Only the brick fireplace and foundation remain of the former building. Redwood Giant Name of Cairn trail marker, #11 Redwood Ridge The name of the former campsite between Murphy’s Gulch and Plainsmen Village Rifle Camp Campsite (next to rifle range) (c 1977 – present) Rock Bottom Name of Cairn trail marker, #9 Rodeo Ring Corral Roman Plunge Name of Cairn trail marker, #10. Also the jumping rock area when river was dammed to form a boating area (c 1968) Rotary Rancho campsite (c 1971), 22 person max. Named in honor of the Rotary Club of San Francisco. Royaneh Station Name of the Northwestern Pacific Railway station from late 1920’s until 1937. Originally called Watson Station. Roya-neh Alternative spelling of Royaneh from 1925 to the early 1930’s. The name Royaneh was submitted by George Hart of SF Troop 54 in 1925. Russian Gulch Camp Royaneh 16 acre outpost camp and trek for senior scouts (c 1969 – 1989) Sam Duncan, Cabin 4 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Sanctuary Location of the Chapel near the Pioneer campsite Scanlon Ridge Campsite (c 1971 – present), 30 person max Schneider Property 127 acres of additional land was purchased in 1969 from the Schneider family to add to the Camp Royaneh property. Adjacent to the camp along East Austin creek Sherwood J Hall Land owner who donated 16 acres of land to the San Francisco Council in the Russian Gulch area. Sky High Name of Cairn trail marker, #1 Sonoma County County the camp is located Sonoma Magnesite Company Name of the company that built a small rail line along East Austin Creek through parts of Camp Royaneh from 1914 until 1924. Stephen Kearney, Cabin 5 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Stephen Mathey, Cabin 5 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Tamal Name of the groups at Royaneh (c 1934), #3 Tevis Memorial Hospital Medical cabin at Royaneh (c 1938), originally located between the amphitheater and the pool The Royanehan Newsletter of Camp Royaneh (c 1927) also became the name of the newsletter for the Royaneh Lodge (c 1950) Thunderbird Mascot and Logo, first makes its appearance in 1958 Tie Maker Name of Cairn trail marker, #7 Tom Rogers Name of Northwestern Pacific Engine #20. Built by Rogers Locomotive company in 1886 and scrapped 1936. Transported Scouts to Camp Royaneh from 1926 until 1935. Top O’ The Rock Name of Cairn trail marker, #16 Trail of the Thunderbird Activities in program areas that get more difficult each year Training Camp Original Name used for the San Francisco Summer Camps when located in Mill Valley, Olema and Cazadero. Tree Haven Campsite (c 1971 – present), 24 person max Twin Peaks Name of Cairn trail marker, #19 Uncle Ed Dike Naturalist who coined “Have fun in the sun at Camp Royaneh” Upper Kiwanis Original name of the upper campsite for Kiwanis Grove. This site is now called Bear Gulch Uncle Stan’s Social Monday night adult social after taps Upper Loop Trail Camp Royaneh Vista View Name of Cairn trail marker, #22 Watson Ranch Sarah and Greenville Watson were the original owners of the land that sold their ranch to the SF Council were Camp Royaneh is now located. Watson Station Original name of the Northwestern Pacific train platform for Camp Royaneh train riders. White Water Creek Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Wintoon Name of the Troop 1 of the Royaneh (c 1934) Wm. Gurene, Cabin 6 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Woodland Grotto Name of Cairn trail marker, #3 Woodpecker Delight Name of Cairn trail marker, #6